As we drag our way out of November – quite literally – we have a front runner for first big man trend of winter. I give you the roll neck.
Often used as a styling alternative to a classic shirt, the roll-neck (also known as the polo-neck) looks superb underneath a suit or overcoat and is yet another fashionable option for the modern dresser, lending a dark, masculine appeal to any outfit.
It seems the roll neck began as fashionable wear in the 1920’s through playwright Noel Coward. Popular most with radical academics such as Steven Hawking, musicians like The Beatles, intellectuals such as Steve Jobs and creative types like Andy Warhol, the roll neck was a staple of many wardrobes. Andy Warhol’s famous black roll neck was even sold at auction many years later. They were all inspirational sources to one of menswear’s most practical pieces. But, how can you use a roll neck to inspire your outfit? Here’s how:
– Wear a roll neck with a two piece suit – Replacing the usual shirt and tie combo with a smart roll neck gives you a more updated and modern look.
– Wear it on a night out – A roll neck is the perfect winter t-shirt alternative. Team it up with a pair of jeans and a blazer and you’ll be ready (and warm) on those winter nights out with the lads.
– Roll up the sleeves – Shoving up the sleeves somehow balances the excess fabric at the top end of the body giving you a more even look.
– Don’t go too tight – It is important to get the right fit out of your roll neck. There should be no gaping, but not too tight as it can be very unflattering if you get it wrong.
– Never tuck a roll-neck in – This makes it look weirdly uptight and isn’t flattering for any body shape.
– Try to avoid ‘quirky’ print or ‘out there’ pattern. The roll neck is all about understated cool, so block colours are a must.
Apart from that, you can’t really go wrong. Overall, the roll neck is an incredibly versatile piece of clothing which can be worn in a number of different ways to update your style this season. Here’s some of our favourites…
RELIGION JET BLACK CRAVING MERINO ROLL NECK LOGO KNIT
Available in Jet Black, this Craving Merino Roll Neck Logo Knit from Religion features turtle neck and ribbed cuffs and hemline. This knit for men sports long sleeves and branding to the left chest.
Offering in Camel colour, this Gosforth Merino Logo Roll Neck Knit from Farah Vintage features a turtle neck, long sleeves and ribbed elasticated cuffs and hemline. This jumper for men sports a brand logo on the left chest.
The Nuno Longsleeved Roll Neck T-Shirt from Only & Sons features turtleneck and straight hemline. In Raven colour, this tee has a brand logo on the left waist above hemline. This tee comes in regular fit and long sleeves.